Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Spidy Craft

Today was the first day I was ready to go for a Halloween craft! I have been seeing ideas for weeks but I haven't wanted to start too soon and have Spencer begging for Halloween weeks in advance!
BUT... I couldn't wait any longer! I LOVE LOVE LOVE holiday traditions and crafts!

So today we did this simple SPIDER craft I saw at Roberts! All you need is: small oval paper mache boxes (I found them at Roberts, they were really cheap), paint, pipe cleaners, hot glue and googly eyes!
First we painted our oval boxes. Spencer wanted to do different color spiders so we had a rainbow of spiders! Then we matched our pipe cleaners to the spiders (Spencer has almost got his colors 100%!) I used 2 pipe cleaners for each spider and cut them in half! He counted out 3 pipe cleaner pieces and we tied them together and spread them out so they looked like spider legs!
I hot glued them onto the bottom of the box! Spencer was REALLY scared of the hot glue gun! Once they dried he helped me put the eyes on and draw different expressions on each one!
We did have one SMALL accident with the hot glue while we were sticking the eyes on! It really frightened him! He screamed and screamed! We got a band aid but it was a soar spot for a while! He even asked me to take a picture! Kind of a cheese ball! It turned out to be so fun! The kids had spider wars after they were all done! And I think they turned out REALLY cute! Here we go Halloween.....

2 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

OOOOOOHHH CAMEO! I am so excited to bounce ideas back and forth. I LOVE this project. And I sure hope I have somethin' coming up that you might be able to use too. You are such a fountain of crafty info! Thanks for sharing!

Chuck and Tonya King said...

Look at those really COOL spiders!