Friday, September 12, 2008

Doctor's are Nice... RIGHT?

This week I made 2 appointments for the kids! Spencer went to the dentist on Tuesday and then both the boys had a well check at the new Pediatrician in Cedar!

I was more worried about taking them to the doctor because Spencer is really terrified of doctors! At the beginning of the year I took him in to get caught up with his immunizations! They gave him 5 shots that day! (Which I later learned was NOT A GOOD IDEA) He was so traumatized! He called the shots "pokies" and thinks that every doctor is going to pock him!

SO I did my best to prep him for this visit, by telling him all about the fun toys and movies they had, practicing what the doctor was going to do! We played by checked his tummy, his ears, his heart beat! I TRIED to explain the doctor just looks and listens to our body to make sure nothing is wrong! He seemed to understand and even wanted to bring his little doctor kit with him!

Once we got there, he was mesmerized by all the neat toys and decorations! BUT once we went in the back and the nurse asked him to get on the scale to be weighed it all ENDED!
He started screaming, "I want to go home," trying to RUN away, saying things like "I don't like her, I don't want to be here, this isn't fun!" Oh it just went on and on! The poor nurses couldn't do one simple thing without the boys yelling and fighting back! WHEW ! Luckily BJ came and was able to take care of Cooper while I did my best to keep Spencer under control!

Pretty much the whole visit went just that way! When the doctor came in for the physical we had to pin Spenc down so he could check him! THEN came time for the shots! Luckily he only needed 2! But as soon as they came in with them he started yelling "Those are pokies, NO, NO!" And as soon as they stuck him he cried out "I need a band aid, give me a band aid!"I felt so bad for him but I have to admit, I turned my head away when he asked for the band aid and couldnt help but giggle! It was SO sad and funny at the same time!

Needless to say I DIDN'T take any pictures of this memorable visit! I NEED to find a way to help him move past this FEAR of doctors!

Because we had SUCH a traumatizing visit at the doctors office I took the kids to McDonalds and they ran around for 2 hours completely forgetting about doctors or shots! You gotta love McDonlalds!

1 comment:

Abby King said...

i have an idea ... ask jenise to help ... she is a nurse.

well ... he might be scared of jenise ... i dont know