Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Painting Pumpkins

After a busy day of errands and a nice long nap Spencer reminded me that he had 3 CTR stickers on his chart and that he wanted to do the pumpkin craft we had prepared for earlier in the day! I was thrilled he had done so well during the day and that he was using his chart the only problem was it was 6:00, I had to make dinner, keep the kids quiet so BJ could sleep till 7:00 so we could then go to a Ice Cream Parlor downtown with some friends! AHHHH!! I couldn't say no and he HAD earned it! SO I decided to jump in and put on the "SuperMOM" cape!
(Or go down trying)

So we got out the paint and the pumpkins and went to work! Luckily our apartment is so small I can see the table and cook up dinner at the same time! Spencer did a great job on his pumpkins, he had fun painting faces and using all the colors he could! He was very patient with my attempts to multi task, and would ask me to come over every once and a while to check his progress! And was very understanding!
Cooper (as always) was DESPERATE to be involved! So I let him climb up on the table with a dry brush and pretend to paint, that lasted just long enough to get the pesto sauce and chicken under control so I could help him with the real paint!
He was SO thrilled to try!
He ended up getting most of the paint on the pumpkin or the paper below him! Every now and then I would remind him to aim for the pumpkin, which he would do! As soon as he saw the paint hit the pumpkin he would drop his brush and start clapping! He had such a great time! After seeing the accomplishment on his face I am re-dedicating myself to being patient enough to include him in our crafts! (Even if it does mean taking the magic eraser to the table after each craft:)
Coopers Special Pumpkin!
The finished product!
And just as a recap we did get to eat and get out the door by 7:15! YEA! Nothing was cleaned up but BOTH the kids loved the craft, they eat dinner and we all left the house without any yelling or tears ALMOST on time! I'm not saying I've earned the "SuperMOM Cape" completely yet but it turned out to be a good evening and the dishes did get done before bed!!!

1 comment:

Abby King said...

that is a really cute idea
for pumpkins