Monday, October 20, 2008

Choose the Right FHE

I am going to be quick today, I have had a LONG day! I went into the dentist only to find out I need a root canal! YUCK! SO it was kinda a bum start to the day but we ended with a good FHE so here it goes....

I wanted to FINALLY make a chart that rewards Spencer's good behavior (because he really does do lots of GREAT things!) And I feel like I spend WAY TO MUCH TIME correcting him and telling him NO!

So tonight we did a FHE on Choosing the Right! First we sang a new song "Choose the Right Way" it kinda got us going on the idea of "Choose the right way and BE HAPPY!" Then we played a little game! I had one happy face that represented wise choices or CHOOSING THE RIGHT and a sad face that represented CHOOSING THE WRONG! I had printed out a few examples and we pulled them out of the had and Spencer decided if "sharing," "yelling," "going to nursery class," and "saying prayers" was choosing the right or wrong? He loves to pull things out of a hat! I dunno why but it really keeps his attention and it helped him understand what it means to CHOOSE THE RIGHT!Then we put on another song (there were tons of songs for this theme! YEA) "Quickly I'll Obey" and he colored the CTR logo! As he colored we talked about what the CTR means and how when he chooses the right HE will feel happy, MOM feels happy and HEAVENLY FATHER feels happy!
To finish us off we went over the new board! HURRAY, I love charts! (its kinda lame I know!) I explained that it is our CHOOSE THE RIGHT CHART! We went over each picture and how HE can do each action HIMSELF! Then we talked about how if he chooses the right he can put a CTR (Velcro) "sticker" on the board! Once he gets 3 CTR stickers he can choose a activity to do during the day! (All the Velcro CTR signs are in the pocket on the bottom of the chart, hopefully that will keep them from getting lost!)
I hope it doesn't turn into the idea of whenever I do something I get something! But I want to encourage GOOD behavior instead of highlighting BAD behavior! He was excited to start so..... WE WILL SEE!

FHE was calm and hopefully he understood it!
TIME WILL TELL!

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Yaeh for you. What a cute idea. Perfect for him. You'll have to let me know how the follow through goes. Where did you find your cute pictures?

Esther said...

CUTE!!

Sorry about your root canal! How stinky!

Chuck and Tonya King said...

I guess that you can find the positive side to everything, even root canals! I hope Spencer learns the concept - you have certainly made it fun for him!