Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Snuggle Blankies and Promises

While my Mom was here over Christmas she had the great idea to make a special soft blanket for Cooper to use when I nursed Graham! The idea was that he could go get his special blanket and pillow and come snuggle with me and the baby so he didn't feel left out and sad! So while she was here we made a Mickey blanket, because he is fascinated with the Mickey! He LOVED it and after reminding him a few times to go get it while Graham was eating he started to go get it himself! 
HURRAY every ones happy....

Well everyone except Spencer! We thought he would rather color or play with play dough? But instead he wanted a special blanket that he can use to snuggle with Mom and the baby!! It all went down in a ball of noise and crying that turned into screaming that sounded something like, "Why cant I have special snuggle blankie, don't you want to snuggle with me too? I love you and Baby too!" I felt so bad! And I was tired of them fighting over the one blanket! SO.... we went looking for a special blanket for Spencer!
He had a fabulous time running around the fabric store and loved EVERY fabric they had! He really was like a kid in a candy store, everything looked yummy!!! But we decided on a CARS fabric and super soft back! He helped me pin it ( sort of, he was terrified of the pins but liked to pock them into the fabric!) 
Here are my two boys all snuggled up watching Kung Fo Panda waiting for their silly mom to put the camera down and come and cuddle on the couch! 

Since having Graham I have noticed my patience in dealing with the 2 "BIG" boys is so much shorter! I justify it by saying that there are SO many things going on at once that I don't have the time to stop and think of how best to react in the situation! But the reality  is I don't MAKE the time and I ALLOW myself to get upset! 

While making these blankets I realized I can look at these SMALL situations in a positive way or a negative way! The kids crawl all over me while I nurse, they almost squish Graham and FIGHT with each other about who sits where! I HAVE been getting frustrated and eventually kick them off the couch! BUT I WANT to look at them kindly and in a sweet  voice tell them I am so glad they both want to sit with me and that they can each have a side to sit on! I can either join in on the frusteration or step back and show them how to react!! I know what kind of Mom I want to be... I just have to rise up to the challenge and MAKE IT HAPPEN! I have lots of chances every day! 
I AM grateful for all 3 of my boys! And I PROMISE to TRY MY BEST to look at them through excited and GRATEFUL eyes! 
Instead of getting mad that they are crying I am going to ask them why they are crying and what I can do to help them feel better! I AM going to MAKE the time to be patient again! Because I don't want to be a Mom who worries about getting THINGS done I want to be the Mom who MAKES the time to PLAY and READ and have FUN with her kids, and worry about CLEAN up after!

BOYS I want you to know Mommy LOVES SNUGGLING and I PROMISE to make MORE time to BE with you! I am grateful for your bear hugs and slobbery kisses! You mean SO VERY much more then clean rooms and vacuumed floors! And I am going to start showing you! 
I LOVE YOU!  

2 comments:

Ms. Amber said...

You are such a great MOM! and a great inspiration too, you are always thinking of your kids and of ways to enjoy each other.
I am always getting frustrated when things are in the heat of the moment and I have a hard time stepping back and staying calm.
You really are a great example to me!

Roberts Fam'ly said...

Thank you. I have been feeling the same way! I am trying to find activities for Kalel, if you have any ideas - let me know. Or if you want to get out we could use some company! (After the blessing :)