Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Reverence FHE

I have a small confession to make, this Monday is the first time I have done Family Home Evening since Grahams been born! My plan for the new year is to do FHE on the lesson Spencer had in Sunbeams the day before! To try and help him understand so he doesn't get OVERLOADED  with too many ideas at once!!! 

But this week I thought I would start out with REVERENCE! Since we have had a few slip ups lately (running to the front and standing at the podium in Sacrament, NOT sitting quietly during Sacrament, running in the halls, and our worst one sitting quietly during prayer time:) A few new friends came over for dinner and our little lesson! Spencer had fun during the lesson since there was someone else to do it with!

I started out by asking the boys what Reverence was
....silence....
I showed the kids a picture of a family sitting in church REVERENTLY 
(from the Behold Your Little Ones Manual)
 and told them; 
"Reverence is being still and quiet to show Heavenly Father that we love Him." 
I had the kids get up and demonstrate things that ARE reverent and AREN'T with their feet, mouths, eyes, ears and hands! We talked about when to be Reverent and when its OK to be loud and goofy! We had a fun little puppet and the boys moved his arms and legs around to show me how to be reverent! Cooper had a little too much fun with our puppet and so had to stop to fix him but once he was all better we got back on track!! :)
We played musical chairs (because its the boys favorite FHE game) and put pictures of ways we can be reverent on each chair so when they sat down they told us how THEY can be reverent! Spencer and Coby loved running around the chairs, even BJ jumped in a few times!

The boys were wearing down so we finished up with this fun craft idea I found on the FHE BLOG! It went with this fun poem: 
I said to my feet, "Keep Still!" I said to my hands "Just Stay!" I said to my all-over-everywhere-self, "I am in charge of you today!" I'm the ruler of my mouth , and I'm the King of ME, so when I tell me its REVERENCE time, I'm as quiet as can be!
So the boys could be proper Kings of themselves we made REVERENCE crowns! The kids decorated them with stickers and drawings! And had fun running around with them! 

We had a great time getting to know our new friends and the boys had SO much fun playing together! Hopefully they got something out of the lesson even though they weren't that REVERENT :) Its a work in progress.....

4 comments:

Queen Mimi said...

Wow, Cameo! I am so impressed with your creativity and FHE savvy! I really like the idea of focusing the lesson on their most recent Sunday School lesson. Good thinking!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm impressed too! Where'd you get the print outs from? My kids need a good lesson on reverence! You're such a great mom!

Kurt & Jen said...

What lucky boys to have such a good mom!

Jelllo said...

I think it's sooo great that you put so much effort into teaching your kids the important things -- even though it seems like it is difficult sometimes! I really respect that, Cam! And, I freakin' love your pics and blog! :) Way cute!