Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Life With 3

Last week was BJ's first week of school and so life seemed to kick back in to full gear! I wasn't sure what it would be like now that BJ was going to be super busy with 21 credits and work! I have been meaning to blog but there always seems to be something else to work on or someone to play with or soothe! Let me give a few examples.... 

The boys have been spending loads of time playing with their new toys from Christmas and it has been fun for Graham and I to sit and play with them! 
While my Mom was here we moved all the toys into Grahams room and all the books into the boys room! It has REALLY helped with cleaning! Now at nap time they read and color! NO MORE getting EVERY toy out! 
Cooper loves to play with this little people village, he sways and sings to the songs! It is SO CUTE! And both the boys love crashing the cars on the racetrack! Thanks Auntie J!
The boys enjoy all their new toys but one of the favorites is still the train track! Which by some miracle we managed to fit in Grahams room too! If you look Spencer is in PJ's in almost ALL of these photos! Before the baby I would battle with him to get dressed every day but now I've decided to let that one go, unless we are going somewhere! Spencer and I both love the comfort of jammies! So if you stop by both of us will be hanging out in PJ's!!!
One thing we have been doing a lot more latley is playing games and working on puzzles! BJ and Spencer have done this puzzle a few times since Christmas, I love to hear Spencer talk about the states! It kinda caught me off guard the first time I heard BJ tell him to put IOWA under Minnesota and Spencer said " Oh the place Mommy used to live" and knew right where to set it! 
Hullaballoo has been so much fun! Cooper doesn't follow the instructions but he sure loves dancing around and watching Spencer spin and jump from spot to spot!
We have all been a little sick the past couple weeks, great news with a new baby! It has been like a really long lasting cold! Somehow Spencer's little body decided to react with the HIVES! YEA! We were worried he had another allergic reaction so when it was just because of the "viral infection" the doctor said we had I WAS RELIEVED! He had them for a few days and referred the them as "HIS SPOTS!" Which he told be he didn't like about every 5-6 hours as his Benodryl would wear off! :)

The boys and I have also done a little cooking! Just to help us with that hard 5-7pm part of the day when we are all tired and cranky and we need to be quiet so BJ can sleep! We tried out our food drier we got from BJ's Mom for Christmas... still working out the kinks on that! Looking for tips if you have them!!!!!
AND we made my new favorite cookie! 
ROOT BEER COOKIES! 
I know they sound different and funny! They are like biting into a root beer float! HMM SO GOOD! We made one large batch and I ate SO SO MANY that I had to make another one so we could take them out as Thank You's for the dinners we received! 
AND SO BJ and I could have some MORE!!! 
If you like root beer even a little, give these a try! THEY are SO SO worth it! 

Root Beer Cookie Recipe:
1 cup sugar 1 tsp vanilla
1 cup brown sugar 4 cups flour
1 cup butter 1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs 1 tsp salt
2 tbsp root beer extract 1/2 cup butter milk
* Combine sugar and butter beat well! Add wet ingredients mix together then add all dry ingredients! Drop into tall balls on the greased cookie sheet! Bake 350 for 6-10 minutes!
Frosting:
3 cups powdered sugar 3tbsp milk
6 tbsp butter 1 tbsp root beer extract

This Sunday we had a especially intense Sacrament Meeting! Spencer ran up to the front and stood RIGHT next to the microphone on the podium ALL through the closing song and prayer! IT WAS AWFUL! BJ had told him we just had to wait for prayer and then we could go to class! SO he ran up to the front and JUST STOOD there and waited! I kept begging BJ to go get him but he was too embarrassed and so was I! We explained you cant go up there unless you are giving a talk! I guess every little kid has to run up front at least once, RIGHT?
At least I got a picture of all of us after Church! I thought Graham looked so cute in his sweater! He didn't really love the pictures! :)

And last but NOT least this week I started getting serious about COUPONING! Albertsons was having their BIG sale; spend 30 dollars get 15 dollars back! So I went 3 different times (because they were out of things I needed each time!) Steph went with me the first time and walked me through it! THANKS STEPH and Megan for answering all my questions this week!
The first time I spent 47 and saved 58! I got 16 boxes of fruit snacks, granola bars cake mixes and a few other things! 
The next day I finally found my diapers! I was SO excited about this deal! I lost this receipt so I cant give the exact numbers darnit but I spent 80 and saved about 120! I got 6 packs for Graham and 9 for Cooper! HURRAY! I saved over 75 dollars on what I would have spent at Costco! 
And on the last trip I did the best! I got a roast for 3 dollars, bread and a 24 pack of water free (the boys tore into the water and were using them as bowling pins so they aren't in the pic) plus all the rest of that for 40 dollars! I saved 149 dollars! YEA YEA YEA! We had a long check out, the people behind us we not loving it! But it was worth it! THANKS FOR COMING WITH ME AMBER!

I still have a lot to learn about coupons! And finding the sales to use the coupons on! But this week has really encouraged me to stick with it! So if any of you have any secrets to share.... PLEASE send them my way! 

It's been a full week but its been a good one! I have to admit I have been worried a few times as BJ would leave for class and the kids would start crying! OR when I would try and call someone and before I had been on the phone for 5 minutes all 3 kids would be crying! But the kids and I have been adjusting really well! No big blow outs or long tantrums! (Only a few short ones:) I think we will all figure it out together! SLOWLY but I KNOW the Lord is helping us and somehow these 3 boys and I will figure it out!

Hopefully I can keep on my posts so I don't have any more LONG ones!!!! IF you really made it to the end... THANKS! I dont know if I would have kept reading! wink wink!

8 comments:

Erika said...

Your boys are so adorable. I love the Sunday picture. You look SO good! If I can find Root Beer extract here in Holland then I will FOR SURE be trying out those cookies. My hubby loves Root Beer and it's difficult to find here.

Oh and I feel your embarrassment with having a kid run to the front in Sac mtg. A few weeks ago Glade ran up to the front during the closing prayer and Jimmy ran after him yelling, "No bebe, NO!" It was wonderful! :)

Chris said...

those cookies honestly look similar to poo. im sure they taste....alright

Vanessa said...

Those cookies sound pretty cool... thanks for posting the recipe... I'll have to try them. You are definitely super mom going to the store with three little kids like that, and with all your coupons! Way to go! Good luck with everything now that school has started back up for BJ...I'm sure you're doing great!

Kurt & Jen said...

So I've started blogging. :) Its so fun to read about what everyone else is up to, so I figured I'd TRY to keep mine up. We'll see how it goes.
You look so good! And your boys are so cute of course. Good luck with BJ going to school and working... I feel your pain! I don't think Kurtis will ever finish! I think he still has over a year left... and I feel like that's what I've been saying for 2 years. :)
I'm going to have to try out those cookies! I've been feeling really good lately and craving sweets. :) The other night I HAD to have oreos, and now I HAVE to have root beer cookies. :)

Brooke said...

I made it to the end and it was worth it. You've always amazed me, and just keep right on doin' it! Way to keep up with the craziness. Your little family is so cute. You're amazing. You'll make it - school doesn't last forever.

Linds said...

So this couponing thing... I'm this close to really getting into it... so many of my friends keep talking about all their savings, I want to get in on the fun too! How did you start doing it? Have you heard of Grocery Smarts? It's a free couponing class this lady in Hurricane offers... I want to go to her next class.

Adventures Of A Girl And Her Dog said...

I hate to say it but I LOVE the pic of Spencer and his hives! He has the cutest face and kindof looks likes he is proud of his "spots"

The Blackwells said...

Oh man I just saw this one, its even better! It sounds like you should offer coupon classes! I would totally come!