Monday, August 25, 2008

Personal Prayer FHE

I love Family Home Evenings, but today when I was talking to Spencer about getting ready for FHE he said "Mom Family Home Evening isn't fun!" I was crushed! I thought I did a good job at making them entertaining and short enough that he still enjoyed it!!! SO I was suddenly on a mission to make this FHE even better!
We have had a few lessons on prayer, and he is really good at repeating what we say during prayer. And relatively good at sitting still and being reverent! But latley I've been trying to help him understand what prayer is and what HE can say in HIS prayers to Heavenly Father! So that was my objective, give him the basic template for what to include in HIS PERSONAL prayers!
Our lesson started out with this cute little guy that reminded him how we act during prayer! He thought the guy was super funny to move around!


















Then we talked about the 4 steps to praying
1. Dear Heavenly Father....
2. I am Thankful for....
3. Please Help me or Bless me....
4. In the Name of Jesus Christ Amen

So I got out 2 pieces of paper one said "I Thank Thee" the other said "Please Bless" and a hat with a bunch of pictures of things HE would be thankful for or ask for during a prayer! There is something so EXCITING to him about pulling things out of a hat! It really keeps his attention! So we went through the pictures and talked about saying it all by himself! I told him we could bring these to bed to help him remember what HE could say! He thought that was great!
Then the BIG finale that I was hoping would CLENCH the FUN review! We had gone out in the day earlier and found some flat rocks to PAINT! One for him and one for Coop! So we painted our "Prayer Rocks" and finished up!
Cooper really tried! He wants to be just as big as Spenc! He kept trying to eat the brush or his painted fingers! SO in the end Mom and Dad had to finish up his rock (which I am sure will be confiscated tomorrow because of frequent THROWING!)
We used our pictures to help us at bedtime, and of course this will be a work in progress! But I think it went well and when I asked him as we said goodnight if he had fun he says "yea mom it was ok!" So I am going to RUN WITH THAT!

4 comments:

Chris said...

what happened to tha poor little paper boy! you sawed off his legs and mock him. twas a sad fhe

Rachel Holloway said...

OOOOH, LOTS OF GOOD IDEAS HERE! Dang Cameo! You are so creative!

Gonna have to borrow this one...if you don't mind. We have been trying to really make our FHE more fun too--and this is a great place to start!

CoLiE-O said...

you are such a good mommmy and daddy! the boys are getting so big!

Monica said...

where did you get the cutout boy that you used to show how to pray?