Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Memories


This weekend I went to two different parades and at each one I had a very strong memory hit me that just stopped me in my tracks!
At the first parade there was a group of Vietnam Veterans who walked while holding flags all done up in their uniforms! All I could think about was my Grandpa King who was a Vietnam Veteran but died of lung cancer when I was a teenager! All I could see was him holding that flag waving at me and smiling! Oh how I wish he was there!

I have a select few memories of him. One of my favorites is visiting him in his small home in Corning California when I was little. I must have been under 10. I remember rocking back and forth in his lap while he relaxed in his very comfy and worn recliner! I remember the next morning waking up early to him cooking green pancakes. They tasted so good, i can remember feeling so happy talking and laughing with him while he flipped more and more of his famous green pancakes!
I remember all 3 of us kids going to the fire station where he worked. I remember being so impressed and amazed that MY grandpa was a fire fighter! I remember my excitement when he took us, just us, out for a ride in the fire truck! I felt so privileged to be there with him! And in such a shiny big fire truck of course!

I remember him visiting us in Minnesota when I was just barley a young women. He pulled up in his camper with his co-pilot puppy! I remember walking outside to the driveway and climbing into his little camper and just enjoying him being at our house!
My very most favorite thing about Grandpa was his cards! He NEVER EVER forgot me! Right on schedule 2 weeks before my birthday or any major holiday he would send me a card! It wasn't fancy or filled with money all that mattered to me was that HE REMEMBERED ME! After he died I am sad to say it didn't change my life much! I didn't even really notice a difference until my birthday came around and NO card arrived! I know he still remembers me now! His cards don't arrive in the mail anymore but he shows he remembers me by touching me at a busy parade! And saying I am still here, I still care about you and I HAVEN'T FORGOTTEN please don't forget me!

I WONT FORGET YOU GRANDPA! I LOVE YOU!

4 comments:

Ms. Amber said...

my eyes are moist... its fun to hear stories of your grandpa, helps me to remember the times I got to have with mine, and it helps to appreciate the moments we get to have with other loved ones.

Chuck and Tonya King said...

How beautiful! Hmm ... makes me stop and think ... maybe I need to carry on that green pancake tradition.

He really did/does love you, Cam!

Chuck and Tonya King said...

Hmmm ... one more thing ... it makes me stop and think ... Grandpa King's expectations were very small ... I am sure he knew that we were distracted from him most of the time, but that didn't matter ... and now look at you ... he had more of an impact than any of us would have thought.

I guess that is what love is all about ... no expectations, just giving.

He was a good man!

And here I am crying like a baby in the Dallas Airport as I read this ... folks are wondering what is wrong with that crazy gringo ... I guess Grandpa King has had a great impact on both of us.

Chuck and Tonya King said...

This is very sweet Cameo - you should share stories about Grandpa King with the boys so that they get to know him too... and maybe make some green pancakes once in a while!! Love, Mom